Wednesday, July 04, 2007

One step closer to Battle Mechs

For years, people have been researching and developing all kinds of robotic stuff, with sort-of AI's that have been getting better and better. But I've always thought that a lot of the research was misdirected. Namely, why aren't there robot gladiators battling to the brutal death in some huge futuristic arena for my amusement?

Today, I find that we are getting closer. Only thing I don't like is that last, tall, goofy looking robot that falls down for no reason reminds me uncomfortably of me when I fight.

============================================================

I saw this article: China's environment close to 'breakdown': govt official

"Pursuit of short-term goals is leading to ever increasing pollution despite various measures," Pan told the China Daily in an interview.

"Traditional ways of development have caused the near breakdown of China's resources and environment, and people's lives are in great danger."

The idea of an environment 'breaking down' reminded me of a soft sci-fi book I read about 15 years ago. Don't remember the author or the title, but I do remember that it was the first time I encountered the phrase 'Gaian Collapse'. The idea was that the feedback systems by which the earth regulates itself could get so out of whack that instead of regulating, they start to cause the environment to get worse. Sort of like that thing where they say a little global warming could cause a lot more global warming by releasing methane or whatever. But instead of just temperature, it applies to everything in the biosphere.

I wonder what was the Chinese phrase used for 'breakdown'. I know [gu4 zhang4], but that doesn't seem right. I'm not real confident in China's ability to turn this pollution thing around. Let's hope I'm wrong.

No comments: