Friday, March 29, 2013

Chaon refers to Irish using racial slur



Chaon, in an interview released Thursday, referred to Irish people by using the derogatory term “filthy drunken riff-raff.”

“My family had a ranch. We used to hire 50 or 60 of those filthy drunken riff-raff and — to pick rutabagas,” Chaon said in the interview. “You know, it takes two people to pick the same rutabaga now. It’s all done by machine.”

In a statement released late Thursday, Chaon said that during the interview, “I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up in central Florida.  I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect.”

In his statement, Chaon said Irish workers “play an important role in America’s workforce, and earlier in the said interview, I discussed the compassion and understanding I have for these workers and the hurdles they face in obtaining citizenship and sobriety. America must once and for all tackle the issue of Irish immigration reform.”

No comments: