Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Advice Wanted

I'm preparing for an upcoming mathematics exam. The exam will be extremely comprehensive, in that the material will include everything from basic number theory, to the application of Rolle's Theorem, to evaluating matrices.

Now back in the day, I was pretty good at math. Problem is, the day in question was sometime back in late April 1986 (Which I'm guessing was the date of my last engineering calculus test).

To my advantage, I was tutoring Tim in math right about up until about the time at which he decided to burn the school down. So I've had a good chance to review a lot of the math stuff that we don't get to use so much in daily life.

Problem is, obviously, that there is a lot more stuff that I haven't had a chance to review. And if I pick and choose the areas to cram, figuring I am the best judge of what I know and what I don't, I'm going to miss a few critical things. Like I'll walk into the test totally prepared for trig and calc, and the first question will be "Define 'polynomial'." And while I could probably fake a definition if someone asked me in the bar, I'd surely screw it up on a test.

So, I need some approach to try and cover as much material as possible in the next three months, starting from pre-algebra or so and stopping somewhere around integrals. Does anyone out there have any experience with any of the software available? Should I just buy a bunch of textbooks? Website recommendations?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Math? Uh, you'll have to ask someone smart about that one. But textbooks aren't as distracting as the internet in my world.


Ted Kaczynski was good at math.

Red A said...

What test is this?

Can you buy a study guide for that particular test?

Chaon said...

No, no study guides available. That would be the ideal course.

Anonymous said...

Caves has millions of homeschooling texts. Sorry, but my son is still learning probability, exponents, and volume of solids.

Michael

Red A said...

One thing is that you have actually learned all of these things before. I suspect that if you started doing workboooks with algebra you'd go really, really fast as you'd remember how to do it all.

Plus you could skip sections you found too easy.

Pre-algebra I found to be really hard for anyone who already knows algebra..unless this is for a teacher's test to show proficienchy, I'd ignore this.

Red A said...

So I am suggesting trying workbooks rather than texts.

Anonymous said...

Karl, can't you hire a chinese kid to do the math for you? I thought that was what everbody did. "Outsource to China" is ALWAYS the right answer! BTW - check out the rough mixes of my new band, "the evildoers" - once we have the songs mixed we're hiring a chinese band to do our shows for us, it's actually cheaper than the gas and rehearsal costs.

Anonymous said...

Who is this Tim fellow, and why did he burn down the school?

Chaon said...

Angus, I'm still mad at China for that whole shooting at me thing. So I'll have to outsource to Vietnam, or not at all.

Tim, the other Tim did not burn the school down, he tried to burn the school down. Or maybe he tried to burn the school's dormitory down. Or maybe he just lost control of a crack pipe and things got out of hand. I'm pretty vague on the details, and I'll leave it to him to tell his side of the story here if he wants to.

Anonymous said...

I thought you had some kind of bullshit major, like philosophy or somethin'.

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on. If you can forgive me for mistakenly punching you in the face really hard, and forgive John Jackson for kicking you in the head etc., I'd think you'd be well over the whole thing of being mad just because someone shot at you a few dozen times. Jeez. Why would you take it personally? They shoot people all the time, it's like "Hi, Mr. Chinese government, I slightly disagree with you on something!" BANG! (insert sounds of organs being quickly harvested for resale on the black market here). No blood, no foul, right? Grow up.

Kevlar said...

On line math courses offer free practice tests. You can view them with acrobat.