Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fischer please

Linked on FARK: Chess players to face anti-doping tests

This led to a semi-spirited discussion of what drugs a chessplayer would take to improve his/her performance. Personally, I just try to mainline caffeine before and during chess games, but it should be noted that I also need to mainline caffeine when attempting such tasks as reading, driving to work, or putting on my shoes.

A couple of people suggested that LSD would improve a player's chess game. Take it from me- LSD does not, not even a little bit, improve your chess game. But in the FARK thread, a user named semiotix posted this:

CHESS PLAYER ON LSD: An Internal Monologue in One Act, by Semiotix

PLAYER (to HIMSELF)

17. ...Be6
18. Bxb6 Bxc4+
19. Kg1 Ne2+
20. Kf1 Nxd4+ etc.

Okay, let's do that.

QUEEN

Excuse me?

PLAYER

Wha...?!

QUEEN

I said, excuse me? Did you just say "17. ...Be6
18. Bxb6"?
PLAYER

Um... yeah?

QUEEN

Well, who the fark is on b6?

PLAYER

I, um... are you talking to me?

QUEEN

WHO the FARK is on b6?!

PLAYER

Uh... you?

QUEEN

That's right. And am I being sacrificed for the other queen?

PLAYER

No.

QUEEN

And will this force an endgame? Mate in 2, mate in 3?

PLAYER

Well, not exactly, but, uh...

QUEEN

But what, motherfarker?

PLAYER

Well, I thought it would be cool to, like, press my attack with that bishop. It'd be... uh... positional, like.

QUEEN

Po-si-tion-al. biatch, you so farked up you can taste colors and you're about to let me get farked by that white bishop just so you can control the b-file? Fischer please.

PLAYER

Oh. Yeah, I guess I am kinda messed up right now.

QUEEN

Thinking you see mate twenty moves off by giving up your QUEEN for fifty cents and motherfarking green stamps? Yeah, biatch, maybe you're just a little messed up right at this precise moment.

PLAYER

Sorry.

QUEEN

Ain't no thing. Now go move that raggedy-ass rook up there in the corner. He's been sitting on his fat ass this whole game.

PLAYER

Okay. Sure, I'll... yeah.

QUEEN

Oh, and Bobby?

PLAYER

Yes?

QUEEN

This isn't going to make much sense right now, but remember: when the planes hit the World Trade Center forty-five years from now, it's all part of a Jewish conspiracy. Be sure you've got a Singaporean radio show by then so you can tell everyone.

PLAYER

Thanks, magical talking chess piece! I'll remember that!

No comments: