Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Devil went Down to Taichung



The devil went down to Taichung, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind and he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this tall man playin’ some blitz chess and playin' it hot.
And the devil jumped upon a bar stool and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
"I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a speed chess player too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you open with some pretty good gambits, boy, but give the devil his due:
"I bet a chessboard of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
The boy said: "My name's Chaon and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."


Chaon you wind up your clock and play your midgame hard.
'Cos hells broke loose in Taichung and the devil deals the cards.
And if you win you get this shiny chessboard made of gold.
But if you lose, the devil gets your soul.


The devil set up the board and he said: "I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his fingertips as pawns went in a row.
And he pulled his pieces into Queens Gambit they made an evil hiss.
Then a band of demons started jeering and it sounded something like this.
When the devil punched his clock, Chaon said: "Well you're pretty good ol' son.
"But help me drink this beer, right here, and let me show you how its done."


Steinitz and Alekhine, run boys, run.
The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
Kasparov runs and hides, high and low.
Chaon chain smoking.
Watches rooks go.


The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
He laid that golden chessboard on the ground at Chaon's feet.
Chaon said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"cause I told you once, you son of a gun, I'm the best there's ever been."

No comments: