Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Tech help

I use Microsoft Outlook for E-mail. I originally started using it because I like having the contacts, tasks, calendar and other stuff all in the same program. Also, I might have been drunk when I made the decision.

Now I'm having problems. As near as I can tell, the database engine that Outlook runs on was designed right about the time that the Shah of Iran was overthrown. Now, it's old and cranky and doesn't really want to deal with my six years of e-mail crap. It's getting slower and slower, to the point where at some point I won't be able to read or send any E-mail before lunchtime.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something with the bells and whistles of Outlook, but better speed.

7 comments:

Red A said...

Export the files to Outlook Express and hire a secretary who will do the rest.

Seriously, I always liked the idea of Outlook but it is too damn slow.

Chaon said...

I'm sure your suggestion will go over huge with the HR folks here:

"I need a secretary."

"Why?"

"Because Microsoft Outlook is too slow."
----------------------------

I guess in theory I could back up the data, delete Outlook and re-install it. But that would probably be a whole 'nother kind of irritating. So I'll just bitch on my blog and whine for help.

Red A said...

Now, seriously, are you storing six years of e-mail? Maybe back that up and delete them from the actual program and it would get some pep.

Chaon said...

Naw, just back to Jan 2005. Older stuff has been taken out and zipped. But Outlook is still creaking.

Red A said...

New computer. Dual core chip and massive amounts of RAM.

problem solved.

Chaon said...

Mankind has yet to construct a computer that Microsoft cannot bring to a simpering crawl. If I get a computer with twelve parallel CPU's, firing at 10 GHz each, and a terrabyte of RAM, I'll still at some point do something radical like try to cancel a print job. And spoolsv.exe will manage to use 99% of the processing power, slowing the computer to the point that it will take me 10 minutes to call up the Task Manager.

Red A said...

The silver lining is that when the robots attempt to take over, we will all know there is that one time every hour where we can tip them over while they are busy sending in error reports back to Gates.