Friday, June 03, 2005

Police Brutality!

This incident happened Aug. 6, 2004 (in Florida, as you might expect), so I'm not sure why it hit Fark today. It is disturbing and funny at the same time. Here is some unsolicited advice from me- When a cop says:

"Get out of the car or I'm going to tase you."

Here are some good responses:

"Yes sir.", or "Yes Ma'am."
"Right away."
"OK."
"Sure thing."
"Where would you like me to stand?"

Here are some responses that aren't so good:

"Why?"
"I'm calling someone."
"I'm calling someone to let them know my situation."
"No."
"Why don't you go to hell, you goose-stepping fascist?"

Now let it not be said that I endorse police brutality, but justice is justice. The woman was clearly:

1) Driving a SUV
2) Speeding
3) Talking on a cellphone

So a solid tazing or two is in order. If she's transporting a bag of golf clubs in the back of the SUV, you could go ahead and mace her as well. Not even Aristotle would complain.

For more level-headed views on this issue, see Chris Rock, How Not to get you Ass Kicked by the Police
and
The Ferrett's story: The Man Who Knew his Rights

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

52 in a 35 zone, and with a bad license, from what I understand. I have always been courteous and compliant to a fault with the police, for what it is worth. I no longer drink or drive with a bad license, so our chance encounters are far fewer these days, but some rules I thought prudent were 1. Keep your hands in sight at all times, like on the wheel as they approach the car. 2. never ever make any move without asking the officer's permission, including "I'm going to get my registration for you from the glove box. There is no weapon in there, would you care to check?" 3. do as the cop asks, when the cop asks, very slowly unless it is indicated otherwise. As a result, I have never been tased. My experience with the police (more than I would like...) in Florida has always been quite reasonable and polite as a result. Being as these folks are dealing with a largely insane public and are well armed, I respect them and want to keep the nervous person with the gun as calm and relaxed as possible. One difficult encounter in LA (circe 1990, pre-Rodney King) when I was being searched helped me appreciate the situation, and taught me a valuable lesson...they were checking me for drugs for some unknown reason (I had none, for once)...But I asked the LAPD officer in a snide tone "Should I cough?" as a sarcastic comment to the thoroughness of their checking. I think I spent the next 10 minutes in a fetal position on the pavement, but my voice returned to a normal timbre after a week or so. LAPD helped me appreciate the kind and pleasant officers we have here in Florida. And, by following those simple rules above and demonstrating great forthrightness and honesty (This license is in fact suspended, officer. By the way, funny story, but that isn't my tag...) I have walked away from several encounters that should have ended in handcuffs. I think any parent is remiss who fails to instill these rules in their child - don't get attitude with someone who can shoot/taze/beat you silly. They deal with crackheads, drunks, and general assorted crazies all the time, so be polite. VERY polite. Cowering, even going pale green with fear is appropriate, even helpful.

Red A said...

I was a 16 year old minor with a buddy in an alley drinking with bums at 3:00 a.m. Cops arrive. They tell us to keep it down. We agree, and they leave.

Second-hand, but a Taiwanese businessman in LA was in the car with his customers. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt when the cops pull them over. He tries to wildy reach and pull his seatbelt on, and the cops seeing all this motion, pull their guns.