Friday, April 10, 2009

Uniloco

Microsoft gets nailed to the tune of US$388 million.

A Microsoft spokesman told news agency Reuters that the company plans to appeal the verdict. "We believe that we do not infringe, that the patent is invalid, and that this award of damages is legally and factually unsupported," the spokesman said.

Ah yes. "We do not infringe that patent that is invalid." I've said (and written) it. Akin to "The Global Warming that does not exist is not man-made.", or "I don't owe you NT$500 for beer because I didn't drink it, and it only cost you NT$375".

If I were the spokesman for my company in that position, I'd make sure to drop the phrase 'Inequitable Conduct'. Then I'd point out that the decision will have anti competitive effects and establish an unfair monopoly for the plaintiff. Maybe not so easy for Microsoft to argue the second point, I guess.

No comments: